Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer and the Accidental Love

Have you tried any of the Smashbox primer?

After trying the original Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, I really wanted a full sized tube and put it on my wunderlist buy list as something to save for. My boyfriend has access to this list for inspiration for birthday's, etc but being the sweetie that he is, he saw the opportunity to buy me a random gift. I never told him that he got the wrong one, but truth be told, I'm so glad he did!

Being a brand with a focus on photography, I was instantly attracted to the Smashbox brand! Their range of primers are legendary, having combination skin I didn't think I would have any use for the hydrating primer but I seriously could not have been more wrong!The primer comes in the classic Smashbox squeeze tube, clear with a black strip and writing, looks very professional for makeup artists. There nozzle is quite precise and allows you great control when dispensing the primer. Not much more to say about the packaging really.

Easy peasy squeeze tube!

The primer itself is light blue in colour, but this does not translate onto the skin, once applied you can see no trace of the blue. The formula is quite cool and refreshing when dispensed which is nice and calming to the skin. It is more liquid than the original and spreads further on the skin, it feels less silicone based than other primers, and more like a moisturiser for oily skin. It has a slight clean but plant like smell about it, but it disappears within minuets of applying. The formula apparently contains Hydraplex, a desert plant extract that delivers and seals in moisture, I would partly agree the primer does this.

Once massaged into the skin, the primer is absorbed quickly and leaves the skin with a slight blurred effect and luminous but mattish finish. The blurring effect are now way near as strong as the original, which is designed for photography, but would be perfect for everyday use. The formula is so light on the skin that I personally have experienced no breakouts, and the silky finish is perfect for lighter makeup. I have two main uses for the primer, colder days or at work (I sit under an air con), the extra hydration is more than welcome and I feel it also helps to protect my skin from harsh winds. Don't get me wrong this is NO replacement for a moisturiser, but it certainly helps to lock in hydration and provide a more silky finish (which is great as I usually don't wear makeup).

Once massaged into the skin the blue colour vanishes

My second use is as a localised primer under my heavier makeup. Some foundations that start off looking amazing, can leave my combination skin dry and flaky in some areas like between my brows, and the apples of my cheeks.. I find that exfoliating and using a good moisturisers is not always enough, but using this primer as a targeted treatment I can stop the flakes from forming. I wouldn't use it all over under heavy makeup (unless your skin is very dehydrated) as it's not going to make your makeup last as long or provide much oil control, but in honestly I do think nearly everybody could benefit from it.

You can buy the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer for £28/30ml, the reviews on the website, don't really rate it, but I think it's important to remember that this is a primer, not a moisturiser. If you expect amazing hydration your not going to get it, what you can expect is hydration that lasts longer.





2 comments:

  1. I have had my eye on a Smasbox primer for quite some time now. Sadly, my husband ignores my beauty wishlist, so I will have to get it myself.
    The one I planning to get is the anti-spot one, can't remember the name at the moment.

    www.lindalibraloca.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Qué gran producto!!
    Un beso
    http://cocoolook.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 

Bloglovin

Kat's Beauty Tales

Instagram